The women who fought in wars and served in peacetime over the past two centuries are being honored this week in Jacksonville as part of Women Veterans Recognition Week.
The observance included a mayoral proclamation Monday morning, a day after the Women on the Wall Candlelight Vigil at Jacksonville’s Veterans Memorial Wall on East Adams Street.
City officials say Jacksonville is home to the second-largest population of female veterans in the nation. This week is “an opportunity to raise awareness of the unique challenges faced by female veterans in our community,” the city says.
The CEO of Northeast Florida Women Veterans, Dee Quaranta, started the observance in 2013 to celebrate the accomplishments of women in the military. The focus at the start was those who served during the World War II and Korean War eras. The city’s Military Affairs and Veterans Department joined the veterans group with events running through Saturday that bring community awareness to challenges women face after military service.
Activities throughout the next week will include a display of women’s military uniforms from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday in the City Hall atrium, 117 W. Duval St.
Other events include:
- Lunch & Learn/”Finding Balance up the Ladder” — 11 a.m. Tuesday at The River Club, 1 Independent Drive; $20 per person.
- Women, Wealth, & Wine — 5 p.m. Wednesday at Cooper’s Hawk, 4850 Big Island Drive; $35 per person.
- Mental Health Summit for Mental Health Professionals and Resource Providers — 8 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Thursday at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, 300 A. Philip Randolph Blvd.
- Women’s VA Health Fair — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the VA Jefferson Clinic, 1536 N. Jefferson St.; free.
- Women Veterans Recognition Gala “Continuing the Legacy” — 6 p.m. Saturday at the Southbank Hotel at Jacksonville Riverwalk, 1515 Prudential Drive. The keynote speaker will be Maj. Gen. Rita Broadway, chair, Florida Committee, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve. Tickets are $120 at the door.
For information about all of the week’s events, go to forwomenvets.org.